- Kayaking is when you make use of a kayak to move across the water. A kayak is a canoe-like boat in which the paddler sits with his legs facing forward. A kayak usually uses a double-bladed paddle to pull front-to-back on one side and the other side in rotation.
- Most kayaks have closed decks but there also exist sit-on-top and inflatable kayaks that are highly popular. Kayaks were created thousands of years ago by the Inuit, also known as Eskimos of the Arctic regions. They used driftwood to construct the frame of the kayak along with animal skin to create the body.
- Andaman Island is a favourite destination for Kayaking. It is a great place for newbies to experience this activity. The mangroves of the coastal paradise constitute 1/5th of India’s total mangrove population. Kayaking is primarily focussed on exploring beautiful islands and paddling across the water.
- It can be pursued at Mayabunder and Havelock Island where the tourists can go on a 2 and a half hour trip. The natural richness of the forest can be felt while kayaking. You can do online bookings during a seasonal period for your friends and family. Only 10 people can participate in one go for three hours.
- The difficulty level is low as compared to other water sports activities of the Andaman Islands. Proper instructions are given by the professional along with the life jackets. The people who want to enjoy nature can have a fulfilling time while going for Kayaking.
- Few essential items to carry along with you while going for kayaking includes a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, camera, comfortable shoes, and comfortable clothes. The price for doing Kayaking starts from 3500 rupees per adult.
- At Andaman SeaKayak, you can enter sea caves and enjoy an untouched world created by nature. You can explore the islands closer and can see the hidden lagoon and mangrove swamps.
- Havelock Island is the best place for Kayaking. It has a beautiful mangrove ecosystem in the region. Many travel enthusiasts make it a point to visit the island for the mangroves. Prior experience is not required if you want to undertake kayaking.
- You can take part as an individual, a group or as a couple for this activity. The lush green mangroves can satisfy the inner adventurous spirit in you. It is the most relaxing and peaceful way of appreciating nature.
- You can select customized holiday packages from RSR Tours and Travel online. The best time to enjoy the water sports activities of the Andaman Islands is during April and June. The concentration of tourists is more during peak seasons.
- The enchanting marine life of the Andaman has drawn appreciation from different biologists. The place can rightly be considered a hotspot of biodiversity for several reasons.
- You can find yourself amidst the chirping of birds, the gentle lapping of the water is something you don’t want to miss for sure. Let yourself get laid in the bosom of nature and appreciate its beauty like never before. Come to Andaman for your next summer holidays.
- At Havelock (Per Person): ₹3500/-
- Volcano Tour is a major attraction for travellers visiting Andaman. You get to observe lava from a distant and can cherish the experience. Tour operators will take care of your safety while you enjoy the volcanic expedition. Barren Island is the only active Volcano along the chain from Sumantra to Myanmar. It is situated in the Andaman Sea and lies 138 km northeast of the capital city of Port Blair. Barren Island is a part of the Indian Union Territory of the Andaman Islands. It is also recognized as a Submarine emergent Volcano lying above the subduction zone of India and the Burmese plate. As a recent phenomenon, Barren Island in the Andaman has started erupting in 2018. Many people across the globe are coming to the islands to observe this phenomenon.
- Its name is justified as it is a barren area unexplored and uninhabited by humans. A small population of goats, birds, bats, and a few rodent species such as rats are inhabitants of the region. The shared trip to Barren Island consists of fishing equipment, breakfast, lunch, snacks, juice, etc. The boat you choose to board will have a restroom. Permit for Indian National is 1000 rupees and for Foreign national, it is 2500 rupees plus additional charges . The shared trip is subject to weather conditions, government regulations along with the payload on the day of sailing. Barren Island is under the restricted zone and you require special permits to visit that place. No night stay is allowed at Barren Island. You can plan your trip early morning and start at 3 or 4 am. The journey will take a maximum of 4 to 5 hrs to reach the Island. Tourists will travel through ships and without getting down on the Island they get the thrilling view of the Island. On the way to Barren Island, you can indulge in different water sports activities such as scuba diving, snorkelling, etc. Some professional scuba divers also go to Barren Island for diving.
What is there in Barren Island?
Manta Rays which is an interesting basalt formation and topography of past lava are few interesting things in the Andaman Islands. The destination is remote but can be accessed by either by a live ship or with the scuba operators based at Havelock Island. Day tours are also possible on private charters. You can also think of fishing and scuba diving for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours . The island can be accessed by the visitors with the prior permission of the department concerned.
Biodiversity of Barren Island
With a 2 km wide caldera, Barren Island is the summit of a volcano that can rise to 2250 meters from the seafloor. With 354 meters above the waterline, the volcano rises from a depth. The eruptions had reduced the number of bird species and their population. Out of 16 previously reported species, only 6 species are observed. The Pied Imperial Pigeon is the most abundant bird in the region.
Adventure Sports At Barren Island
On your way to the volcanic island, you can participate in different sports and other activities if you are travelling by a private charter. You can enjoy snorkelling with your friends. The exotic island is a travel paradise for advanced scuba drivers who visit the place to enjoy diving and witness marine life. The waters surrounding the Barren Island are known for living for being one of the world’s top scuba during destinations. Because of the black bedrock of the island, it creates a perfect backdrop for richly coloured corals, sponges, and sea anemones. It reflects the richness of different marine species. This is what mainly makes underwater diving an enriching and unforgettable experience.
Is it safe to visit the Barren Island?
According to the Volcanic Explosivity Index ( an Index that ranks explosivity of the volcanoes on a scale of 1 to 8). The index is based on quantity of volcanic material erupted and its strength. From the data, it has been observed that the eruptions at Barren Island are listed as the lowest and therefore are safe to visit. When someone thinks of the active volcano in India, then Barren Island is the name that pops up. On the extreme corner of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It is the only active volcano in South Asia. To get to this beautiful Island you can either opt for a ferry or seaplane. Boarding a ferry will let you witness the spectacular view of the beautiful Islands. However, the seaplane ride from Port Blair is more preferred as you get to observe the aerial views. You can grab the best deals from RSR Tours and Travel to enjoy a splendid vacation with your friends and family.
- Coral Safari is a beautiful submarine tour to explore coral beauty. The deep and calm waters of the Andaman is a perfect spot for coral exploration. The standstill gesture of the dramatic corals can leave you mesmerized. Coral Safari consists of 100 seaters fully air-conditioned cabin for you to experience the variety of corals.
- When you get to see the underwater species through a large glass, it becomes the memorable experience of your life. People from all age groups can witness coral safari without any fear. You get to know a lot of information about corals and their instinctive behaviours.
- The semi-submarine is designed by the Subsea system of the USA with enough safety features to make it sink proof. The glass windows are inclined at 45 degrees to provide you the best marine view. You can enjoy rarest fishes, sea turtles, corals and more.
- Enjoying the corals from close intervals is an experience you don’t want to miss out on. The sea marvels excite you with their colourful skin and print. You can start the coral safari from the water complex with friends and family.
- However, one should not scream while observing life under the sea. You should avoid overcrowded submarines to enjoy nature at peace.
Coral Safari at North Bay Island
- Coral Safari at North Bay Island is safe for children. You can enjoy 1 to 1.5 hours of the tour on a semi-submarine. The semi-submarine is a boat with a huge glass to give you a sneak peek of the marine world. The visitors are requested to arrive at a given time slot on the beach.
- You can occupy the seats at first cum first serve basis. On the ride, professionals will guide with necessary information about sea life. The guests are required to have a valid ID proof for the coral ride.
- The price of coral safari in North Bay Island is 1850 rupees per person. For a child of 3 to 12 years of age, the price is 1300 per child. Also, the price varies for defence personnel. For them, the price is rated at rupees 1000 per person.
- You can start your journey from Port Blair to North Bay Island to enjoy the safari. The timing for coral safari is from 6:30 AM to 08:30 AM and 8:30 a.m to 10:30 AM.
- The safari has a fascinating visual representation for days to remember. The next time you are back to your place visiting Andaman, you will have a bucket full of memories.
- You get to dip into the ocean floor to view sights of sea life. Few reefs are there which you can approach at a certain water level. You should not miss the chance of exploring seafloor from such a close quarter.
- Explore Coral Safari-like never before with RSR Tours and Travel. Let yourself observe tropical invertebrates inhabiting the tropical ocean. The best time to plan for Andaman is from February to April. The sun shines bright and dazzles upon the beaches during those months.
- North bay island(Per Person Adult): ₹1850/- For 45 Min.
For Kids (5-12 Years): ₹1350/- For 45 Min.
- North bay island(Per Person Adult): ₹1850/- For 45 Min.
- Bird watching is a way of relaxing your mood amid lots of pressure. The chirping of birds can let the mind heal on its own. It is a proven fact that doctors prescribe bird-watching, the sound of rain and instrumental music as a medical prescription to avoid stress.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a major destination for Bird watching. The ornithologists (one who study birds) find it a great place to observe birds because of its rich biodiversity. There are around 265 species out of which 39 are endemic. The state bird of the Andaman is known as the Andaman Wood Pigeon.
- Birding is an adventure to be enjoyed in silence. You should not miss this activity if you are in the Andaman. The Andaman Islands is a haven for several species like Andaman serpent eagle, Andaman crake, Brown coucal, Andaman scops owl, Hume’s boobook, and more.
Birdwatching in the Andaman Islands Mount Harriet
Mount Harriet National Park is recognized as the tropical evergreen forest of Port Blair. It was originally a reserve that includes Andaman Cuckoo Dove, Andaman wood pigeon, Andaman scops owl, Andaman Drongo, and Andaman Treepie.Apart from these endemic species, you can also observe Olive-backed Sunbird, Dollar Bird, Pintail Snipe that make a perfect sight for bird photography.The best time to go for bird watching is early morning. Birds remain active then. You can hear their chirping as they enjoy the day. They will be lazing around in the nest in a playful mood. In the evening, they come back to their nest with food. It’s a beautiful scene to capture when birds return to their nests after darkness.
Sippi Ghat is a place in the south of the Andaman. It is primarily a wetland with water birds and waders. Sippi Ghat is famous for birds like Brown Hawk Owl, Sunda Teal, Collared Kingfisher, Black-napped tern, Andaman Hawked Owl, Orange-headed thrush, Olive-backed sunbird and many other birds. It is an overwhelming experience for travellers to observe birds. You are instructed to maintain silence so that birds don’t fly away.The ideal time to go to Sippi Ghat is in the morning. During the afternoon the birds are least active. So, you need to enjoy bird watching early in the morning and can take beautiful snaps later in the evening.Sippi Ghat also has a majority of areas under spice-herbs cultivation along with different medicinal plants.
Located to the south of Port Blair, Chidiya Tapu is popularly known for trekking and birding. It is believed that the trek to Mount Harriet from Chidiya Tapu is a perfect track of bird watching and bird photography. It is also called as the sunset point of the Andaman Islands.The best time to visit Chidiya Tapu is during September and May. Being called ” Sparrow Island”, Chidiya Tapu is a haven for resident birds. The island is 25kms from Port Blair and is full of lush green mangroves.The different variety of birds in the Island includes White Throated Kingfisher, Collared Kingfisher, Andaman Serpent Eagle, Chestnut-Headed Bee-eater, Alexandrine Parakeet, Black Naped Oriole and many more.
If you want to enjoy Bird watching to the core. try to visit this island in the early morning hours
A beautiful place to observe endemic birds. One needs to stay overnight to enjoy birds the next morning. You can derive pleasure from watching the birds chirping.The unique attraction of this place is night birding. It is a kind of adventure where one can explore night owls like Hume’s Hawk Owl, Andaman Barn-owl, Andaman Scops-owl and more.It is a lifetime experience and you can make friends and family a part of it. For travellers, it provides an ideal setting for the night bird photography.
The picturesque beauty of the Andaman Islands can rightly be felt in the Havelock Islands. Rich in flora and fauna, this island is home to wild mangroves, forests, and a variety of birds. Few of the birds are on the verge of extinction. You can choose to visit this island for mental peace and inner realization.Some of the bird species you cannot miss to enjoy are the emerald dove, green pigeon, hanging parrots, long-tailed parakeets and more. The birds can be observed early in the morning and before sunset.
Andaman Birding Tour Guide
After discussing all the favourite places for bird watching, let us discuss the best time and season for bird watching. Andaman is the best place to visit during the summer. The tropical weather of the islands has made it a perfect destination for summer holidays.The notable areas to visit for endemic bird tours are Sippighat, Mount Harriet, Chidiya Tapu, Farar ganj, and Wandoor. Also, a few other places for birding as researched by the ornithologists are South Andaman, Havelock Island, Little Andaman Island(Hut Bay), Cambell Bay Island( Great Nicobar), etc.You can arrive at Port Blair by early morning flight and start the journey towards Andaman Endemic Birds Tour. Observing the different variety of bird species at Port Blair, you can then head towards Chidiya Tapu. There awaits a mesmerizing view for you to explore. Birding at Farar Ganj in the afternoon is a treat for bird lovers. You can take help from professional bird watchers to help you out with different names of the birds.Bird watching is therapeutic. You can enjoy nature by exploring the colourful birds. Plan your vacation to the Andaman Islands to enjoy its rich biodiversity that has a lot to offer.
Game Fishing in Andamans is one of the most enjoyed activities. Like who would not like to explore fishing in a coastal paradise. The remote environment of the Andaman is still untapped. It is not intruded on commercial fishing as of now.
Andamans provides a blissful setting for sports fishing for spending holidays. You will be guided by professional tour operators. The fishing game operators have been there for decades in the land of Andaman.
The professional services of the game fishing operators are customized according to the needs of the visitors. Fishing with personalized operators is satisfying, pumping your adventurous spirit.
Through fishing, you can get hold of yellowfin tuna, bigeye, giant trevally, red snapper, sailfish and more. The operators can guide you to perfect fishing spots for enjoyment.
Calm waters of the Andaman are still unexplored, making it the best destination for remote vacations. The group of Islands is full of indigenous tribes like Jarawa, Onge, Shompens Nicobarese and more. Several indigenous tribes are protected by the government from mainstream civilization.
Commercialization is still a long way in the Andaman Islands. The unique biodiversity has a lot to offer to its visitors. Travellers call it a place of heavenly paradise.
Apart from different water sports activities, game fishing is one of a kind activity loved by travellers. You will get a world-class experience in angling and sport fishing. The fishing enthusiast will get loads of opportunities to enjoy fishing to the fullest.
There are different varieties of Billfish seen around the calm waters. The professional fishing operators are aware of facts for anglers. At the far end of the sea, you can catch fish weighing more than 30 pounds. You can reach out to spaces of the seas to enjoy game fishing.
The fishing community of the Islands strictly adhere to catch and release policy. The entire ecosystem should not be harmed because of fishing activities. By doing this you derive a sense of happiness by not disturbing the natural ecosystem at the cost of fishing.
Andaman offers a variety of marine life. Tropical rainforests, jaw-dropping scenic beauty of mangroves is an ideal place for the fishing enthusiast. The perfect fishing spots in the Andaman are Neil Island and Havelock Island.
You can take the help of different organizations in Port Blair to participate in game fishing activity. Two clubs namely Monster Fishing and Surmai Fishing provide sport fishing from Havelock and Port Blair.
Several big and small boats are available for fishing. The rate of different fishing boats depends upon the number of days you take them on rent.
The Game Fishing trip requires a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 8 persons to board the adventure. The average price is close to 9900 rupees per person. The fishing permit fees for Indian guests 500 rupees and 2900 rupees for foreigners .
You need to leave at 8 am in the morning from Havelock Island and can return by 5 pm in the morning. If you are looking to click awesome pictures with a scenic view at the backdrop then Andaman is the best place for you.
THE LIGHT & SOUND SHOW
- Our childhood is full of Light and Sound shows with our parents. During the summer holidays, this remains a common activity for us to enjoy. The amphitheater space coupled with magnificent sound gives a lot of thrill watching the show.
- Cellular Jail in the Andaman Islands has historical importance attached to it. Better known as Kalapani, this used to be a jail of colonial times. The prison was used by British officials to exile Indian political prisoners to the remote space.
- Andaman Jail is a national memorial and is a must-visit for travellers to Andaman. It reflects the hardship of Indian Freedom Fighters during the colonial era. You can explore historical points of Cellular Jail and enjoy the Light and Sound Show.
- You can explore the different architecture of the Andaman Jail with your friends. During the show, different artists enact the life of the prisoners when Cellular Jail was functional. The unique element of the show is that it takes place both in English and Hindi.
- The timing of the Light and Sound show is scheduled into different slots. The Hindi show starts from 6:00 pm to 7:15 pm on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
- For the English show, the timing is from 7:15 pm. The Jail Museum remains open from 9:00 am to 12: 00 noon, and from 1:30 pm to 4.45pm. It is closed on Mondays.
- The Light and Sound show is narrated in the intense voice of legendary actor Om Puri. His voice resonates with the entire vibe of the show. Tourists visiting the place would enjoy his heavy voice expressing different situations of life.
- There is also a small park in front of the jail where you can take a stroll and enjoy the beautiful ambiance out there. The best time to visit Cellular Jail is during summers. The place perfectly sums up why these beautiful islands were once called ‘Kalapani’.
- Most of the narration is done by the voice of a Pipal tree. The act can truly captivate and engage the audience. The entry ticket of Light and Sound show for adults falls within the range of 100 to 150 Indian rupees and for children, it lies within the range of 25 to 75 Indian rupees. The show usually lasts for 45 minutes during which you have memorable moments for a lifetime.
- The entire show is about the dark history of the Andaman Islands. You can relate to it by going through different phases of atrocities on Indian prisoners by the British.
- The entry fee for use of cameras inside the Andaman Jail is not included in the standard tour packages. Approximate 30 Indian rupees for still camera and 50 Indian rupees for a video to be paid at the entrance gate.
- The best time to visit the Andaman Islands is during summer. You can choose customized tour packages from RSR Tours and Travel online. Come to Andaman and explore nature like never before. Enjoy turquoise water and shimmering beaches with your friends and family.
- Ticket (Per Person): ₹720/-
|SR NO.||TOURIST SPOT||LANGUAGE||TIMING||FARES FOR ADULTS||FARES FOR CHILDRENS||SHOW DAYS|
|1||Cellular Jail Light & Sound – Hindi – 5:15 PM||Hindi||5:15 PM||₹150||₹75||All Days|
|2||Cellular Jail Light & Sound – Hindi – 5:45 PM||Hindi||5:45 PM||₹150||₹75||All Days|
|3||Cellular Jail Light & Sound – Hindi – 6:55 PM||Hindi||6:55 PM||₹100||₹50||All Days|
|4||Cellular Jail Light & Sound – Hindi – 8:00 PM||Hindi||8:00 PM||₹50||₹25||All Days|
|5||Cellular Jail Light & Sound – Hindi – 9:10 PM||Hindi||9:10 PM||₹50||₹25||Tue,Thu,Sat,Sun|
|6||Cellular Jail Light & Sound – English – 9:10 PM||English||9:10 PM||₹50||₹25||Mon,Wed,Fri|
EXPLORE THE LIMESTONE CAVES
- The Limestone Caves of Andaman Islands is a must-try exploration for the travel enthusiasts. Baratang Island of the Andaman Islands is a place known for the limestone caves. Particularly near Wrafters Creef, you can see deposits of Limestone. Some deposits are in the form of caves and rest in the form of layers. The deposits remain above the soil and some under the ground portions of the caves.
- There are more than 250+ big and small deposits of limestone, out of which only one is in the form of the cave opened for tourists to explore. The limestone formations are dangled from the ceiling and stacked on the walls.You can reach Baratang Island through a 100-kilometer drive through ATR( Andaman Trunk Road) from the city of Port Blair. You can take a ferry ride from Middle Strait to Baratang Nilambur Jelly and another half an hour ride on a speedboat.
- The limestone caves in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a visual treat for travellers. It is formed over millions of years when various deposits of shells, corals, and skeletons underwent natural compression to form caves.The caves are lined up with stalagmites that hold the mystery of a million years of the Andaman. Nestled within the mangroves and amid lush greenery, the limestone caves are highly recommended for nature enthusiasts.
- The Mangrove boat ride to the Limestone Caves is an adventurous speedboat ride to dive into the mangroves. With wonderful lush forests around you, this boat ride can give you wonderful moments to cherish for life. You can derive the greatest pleasure with your family and friends while enjoying nature parallelly.You are prohibited to touch the water during the ride and keep your hands safe inside the boat. You are suggested to undergo a full health checkup to ensure a smooth ride.
- After getting off the boat, you are on a 10 min trek to the limestone caves. However, the trek is a little difficult for an elderly person. The trek takes you through the forest so it is best to come prepared with floaters or comfortable walking shoes. Do not forget to carry a few essentials with you like water, a cap, and snacks.
- Once you reach your destination you will see a lot of vendors selling coconut water and cucumber. You can observe the marvel of nature at the Andaman. Most travellers love to interpret their ideas and thoughts on the shapes.
- The caves have a shade of yellow and white to give it a touch of a visual treat. During peak season, you shall find the concentration of tourists to a larger extent. It becomes a bit crowded and you may have to wait around a bit for your turn to enjoy the caves.
How Limestone Caves are formed?
Limestone Caves are there over millions of years in the form of a natural cavity under the earth’s surface. The world’s ancient ocean life form is believed to have existed 3.8 billion years ago. The single-celled algae are known as cyanobacteria perform photosynthesis, releasing oxygen into the air.There were many chemical reactions performed by these algae that resulted in the formation of dolomitic limestone -a sedimentary rock. During this time, the acidic groundwater or underground rivers dissolved some of the limestone leaving cavities behind.
Eventually, due to the movement in the earth’s crust, these became dry land. As time passed, the weak carbonic acid in rainwater dissolved and try to erode the formation of limestone to give it different shapes and structures.
Once you are done with cave seeing, you can stop by for a quick bite of cucumber and coconut water. You shall have to make your way to the jetty and take the speedboat into the mangroves. You may also choose to visit the mud volcano which is another attraction of the Andaman.
November to February is the best time to visit the caves in Baratang Island. The weather is very pleasant and there are low chances of rainfall. It is prohibited to go inside the caves after sunset. You are required to complete the whole trip in broad daylight for safety.Few things to keep in mind while going for Limestone Cave expedition are
- It is advisable to start your journey early to the Island. Baratang is a wild place. So it is not safe to visit the place after sunset.
- Wear comfortable clothes and trekking shoes since you will be walking a lot.
- If you are claustrophobic then you should not participate in a cave expedition.
- Baratang Island is the residence for tribal people. You should not interact with them, take photos and get into their personal space to avoid repercussions.
- You will require an entire day for this activity.
- The entry and exit of the cave are the same. So, you will have to make space for yourself to get in or out of the cave.
- Everything said and done, you can choose activity packages from RSR Tours and Travels. Come to the Andaman and explore nature like never before.
- For this kayaking trip in Havelock, but you should not have any fear of the dark or of water.
- The departure time for this trip changes based on the tide and the changing time of the sunset. Please call your operator one day before to confirm the start of your kayaking session.
- Please note that you finish your kayaking trip by 20:00 hrs, and it will be very difficult to get transport back to your hotel. It is recommended that you rent a Scooty or moped at Havelock.
Bioluminescence night kayaking in Havelock
This night kayaking adventure is one of the most magical experiences you’ll ever have. You’ll head out into the sea just after sunset and paddle over an ocean that glows and sparkles with bioluminescence. With every swish of your paddle, the sea is lit up as if the stars themselves have fallen into the water.
All around you, the sea is calm and the lights from the shore are not too far, but you’ll feel like you’re in a different world. It only lasts for 3 hours, but this adventure is one that you will remember all your life.
Mangroves forests in Havelock Island are among the densest you can find in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The shade of these forests and the lagoons flowing through them is one of the best places to kayak. The stream is mostly steady with sudden jumps of small currents and mild turnings. As you explore further you can feel the shade surrounding you from all sides and opening into a wide view of the sea after a while. An experience to look forward to.
A usual kayak trip through mangroves is done under the assistance of an instructor, in a group of 6 or less.
Endowed with some of the most pristine and magnificent beaches that you can find within reach of the Bay of Bengal, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a thriving tourist destination. They are the perfect coastal destination that allows you to relax and muse over the turquoise-blue ocean, away from your busy lifestyle.
These islands are made up of summits of a submerged mountain range and constitute arguably one of the most remote states in India. There are, in total, 572 islands that make up the Andaman and Nicobar islands, and only 37 of them are inhabited.
The main entrance to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands is through Port Blair, which is like a base city that connects these islands to nearby towns and beaches. It is also a great place for clubbing and exploring the food in Andaman – myriad delicacies of the indigenous people who live on the islands. Being a submerged mountain range, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands also provide some lush green hills where you can go trekking or explore the wildlife.
Top Things To Do In Andaman And Nicobar Islands
- Scuba diving
- Mangrove kayaking
- Light and Sound show at Cellular Jail
- Island hopping
- Seaplane ride
- Relaxing at the beach
Places To Visit In Andaman And Nicobar Islands
- Radhanagar Beach: This beach was awarded the title of Asia’s Best Beach by the TIMES magazine in 2004.
- Cellular Jail: What was once the Kala Pani Jail is now a thriving tourist destination for people around the world.
- Elephant Beach: It is one of the most beautiful and pristine beaches on the islands, which is a prime destination for travelers.
- Ross Island: This famous island was once one of the administrative headquarters for the British, where now only ruins remain of that time.
- North Bay Island: If you want to check out some breathtaking coral reefs, then North Bay Island is the place for you.
- Bharatpur Beach: Bharatpur Beach is a gorgeous shoreline famous for organizing water sports, like snorkeling, scuba diving, and glass-bottom rides.
- Neil Island: Encompassing some of the major beaches of Andaman and Nicobar, Neil Island is an integral destination in your trip to these secluded lands that you should not miss.
- Kalapathar Beach: The beach is filled with huge boulders, where the name ‘Kalapathar’ comes from. Kalapathar means ‘black rock’ in Hindi.
- Laxmanpur Beach: Divided into two separate beaches, the Laxmanpur beaches are famous for their natural arch bridges and breathtaking sunsets.
- Mount Harriet National Park: This is undoubtedly the most beautiful place in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Spread over 46 square kilometers, the park is filled with amazing species of flora and fauna.
- Chidiya Tapu: This beach makes for a great place for bird watching and enjoying sunsets. For more enthusiastic people, you can also indulge in adventure activities.
- Corbyn’s Cove Beach: It is a popular beach near Port Blair where you can indulge in some relaxing time and check out the shacks of Andaman and Nicobar.
Built during 1864-67, the walls of Viper Island Jail echo the cries of Indian freedom fighters. The ruins of the jail, worsened by the 2006 Tsunami destruction, can barely depict the saga that unfolded there.
Viper Island in Port Blair named so after the vessel in which Lt. Archibald Blair came to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, houses two main buildings today. The gallows, where most prisoners were hanged, are perched atop a small hill and contrasts the haunting silence of the island with tales of valiant efforts put forth by the freedom fighters. The red building of the courtroom can clearly be seen in front of the Viper Island jetty and like the gallows, sits on the silent island, telling the world its story. Viper Island, earlier one of the most popular picnic spots, has lost a bit of its sheen post Tsunami.
The ruins offer an interesting story to the visitors and make for a great one-time visit. However, if you’re short on time, you can give it a miss. The history, the culture, and tales of the British colonial rule on the islands can still be seen in the ruins, but only as a distant cry. So do give it a try if you have time on your hands and a desire to see some of the most beautiful building ruins in the vicinity.
After all, the island does add to the quintessential Andaman Experience.
How to Reach Viper Island?
Viper Island is a short boat ride away from Port Blair but is now closed for tourism and visitors.
Flat Island, known as Île Plate in French, is located near the Round Island, at the extreme north of Mauritius, about 11 kilometers north of Cap Malheureux, the Mauritius’ mainland’s northernmost point. It houses one of the two working lighthouses in Mauritius.
Flat Island (size of 253 hectares, is the largest of the northern islets) is mostly flat, but has a single hill topped by a lighthouse. The vegetation is heavily modified.
North of Flat Island is Pigeon Rock, a spectacular bare rock stack, were many seabirds come for nesting.
Flat Island is a very popular venue for snorkelers, and also offers great dive sites. The island offers beautiful beaches with crystal clear turquoise water.
About the Activity:
- This day cruise takes you to the famous Flat Island on an unforgettable cruising experience on a luxury 42 ft Catamaran from Grand Bay departing at 08:45 AM.
- Once on Flat Island, discover the breathtaking biodiversity of the lagoon while snorkeling and view the majestic mountain towering ahead of you.
- Around 12:30 PM taste the delicious barbecue buffet lunch on the Flat Island main beach or on the Catamaran with plenty of dishes to choose from.
- As part of the cruise you will pass by an amazing lagoon, where swimming and snorkeling are a must.
- The crew members will make sure that your time during the trip is enjoyable as they will be happy to narrate the local tales and play local Mauritian music on board.
- Depart the island mid-afternoon and make your way back to shore where your tour concludes at 04:30 PM
Andaman and Nicobar islands, land of outstanding natural beauty, offer a plethora of blissful places which are irreplaceable. It can make your memory immortalize while visiting the Andaman. These spots are covered with high mountains, romantic beaches, and rivers. In this article of ours, we will dedicate it to morning lovers. Here we will cover the top places where you can see sunrise in Andaman Islands. Sunrise here in the islands is pretty early around 4:30 AM so make sure you are on time to get a glimse of a magnificent sunrise in Andaman Islands.
Sitapur Beach, Neil Island
- Sitapur Beach is one of the serene beaches in Neill Island that is popular for its gorgeous scenic beauty. Situated 5 KM on the southern tip of Neil Island, this beach is surrounded by lush green forest from 3 sides. From opens area, you can enjoy the fantastic view of the open sea and its dark blue sea, which is impressive.
- Far from the busy Andamans, Sitapur beach is a long beach that looks the same at other times of the day, but it covers a golden aura in the dawn. At that time, the sands look like gold. This beach is the ideal place to enjoy the breathtaking view of the Sunrise in Andaman Nicobar Island. Local people suggest that 4:30 am the right time to enjoy the Sunrise at this place. So you need to rich 15-20 minutes before the exact time to Sunrise.
Flag Point Port Blair
Flag point in Port Blair is usually visited in the evening to take a walk around Tiranga Park. The place gets lively post-sunset and many locals visit here. Flag point is pretty famous among locals to sit and watch a lovely sunrise. You can find many locals taking a walk around flag point early in the morning. A long stretch of walkway along with an open sea at one end is a lovely experience. It is suggested to be here around 4:30 AM so that you can see a beautiful sunrise from this Flag point. Getting to this place is not difficult; just take a cab or ride a two wheeler to reach this location. See a clear and beautiful view in front of Flag point in the reddish shade of the rising sun; Nature lovers and photographers like to come here again and again.
Enroute Corbyn’s Cove
If you are an early riser drive to Corbyn’s Cove beach to see its amazing sunrise. This beautiful beach becomes amazing when Sunrise in the eastern sky and spread its golden aura all around. From various open places en route Corbyns Cove beach you can see a magnificent sunrise. Take pit stops click some snaps and move on to the next lovely location to see the sunrise. Different types of water sport with the most famous ones as Jet Ski ride, Parasailing and Sea Kart make the place heaven for the tourists. Its scenic views of the blue waters bring a relaxing holiday mood. Walking barefoot through the water really relaxes the whole body.